Remembering Sr. Bernard Lynch, rsm


 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, your soul, your strength, your mind and your neighbour as yourself." (today's Gospel).

As we come to terms with the sudden and tragic passing of the legend that is Sr. Bernard, from the Sisters of Mercy in Athlone, I can't help but think that she really lived today's Gospel. She loved God in everything she did and said and she loved her neighbour. The people of Athlone can give first hand witness to the goodness and kindness that she gave to so many, especially after she retired from teaching where she visited the sick, the elderly and those who lived alone. Over the course of her 50 years in Athlone, I'd say hardly a family from the town and the surroundings didn't know who Sr. Bernard was!
For many of us, she was our teacher, our principal, our choir mistress (who remembers belting out 'Hail Glorious St. Patrick' or 'Céad Míle Fáilte Romhat' in preparation for St. Patrick's Day in her Principal's Office, sliding around in our socks on the polished floors!?). For others, she was the one who trained them as altar servers and in recent years, their children as servers! She taught us our faith, taught us reverence for God's holy name (she always always bowed at the name of Jesus). She taught us how to grow old gracefully!
For me, she was the first nun I remember meeting when I was a very young child. As I grew older, I saw she was an example of a religious sister who went over and beyond what 'duty' was. She always had a word of encouragement, of praise, of interest. Every time I saw her in Athlone and always asked for my Mam, and brother and sisters, all by name! She was proud of her 'past pupils' and you often got introduced that way. I am grateful to her for the opportunities to help out at St. Peter's Primary School when we had holidays from secondary school- cultivating my love for education and my gra for the gaeilge and entrusting me with responsibilities and duties which have helped me become the person I am today. Even as a principal, her hours were not 9 am to 3.30pm, she was always helping us to better ourselves, through music, art, Community Games, the Irish language and choir. She was a great witness to prayer and spend many hours in our Adoration Chapel before the Blessed Sacrament, even those hours at night. She was a faithful friend to our PDDM Community in Athlone who will miss her presence and her company.
Sr. Bernard, yes, our hearts are sad this evening but we trust that you are resting in the gentle peace of the arms of God whom you served so cheerfully, generously and enjoy His promise of eternal life! Pray for us all still on the pilgrim journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just to say 'thank you' (Sr. Louise's words of thanksgiving for the celebration of her Perpetual Profession)

Holy Hour of Thanksgiving for our Silver Jubilee of presence in Dublin.

The Icon of Friendship