New Year’s Resolutions, yes or no?


Every year I have a mini-dilemma: should I ‘do’ resolutions? What do I want to change about myself? What do I need to do better? How can I be better, holier, freer? The list goes on. However I did come up with one life change for this year which I can share with you. Here comes 2014: a resolution- pray, simply pray and pray simply! God's in control. The New Year unfolds like pages in a book yet to be written, bringing hope and endless possibilities.

When I look at 2013 and some of the things that went wrong or disappointments or let-downs which I felt, one word comes to mind: HOPE. I hope for better days. I hope that I can be true to myself. I hope. Hope comes from God and this is the only way that all things can be possible with Him if we do them in the name of Jesus his Son. For the Feast of the Holy Family, we had that lovely reading from the Letter to the Colossians (3,12-21), it reminds us: “ And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father, through him.” This in itself, is a life programme! The priest who gave us the homily during the celebration for the Holy Family challenged us deeply to look at how we speak about Jesus. Do we even mention his name among ourselves, to each other? If we do everything in his name, for his glory, why are we often so afraid to mention his name! 2014 is the year where we can share the beauty of our faith, the beauty of living and true relationship with Jesus who is Life.

Rappler have come up with a great list of resolutions based on Pope Francis quotes here. In a nutshell, he is saying:
-Don't gossip
-Finish your meals
-Make time for others
-Choose a sober and essential lifestyle
-Meet the poor in the flesh
-Stop judging others
-Befriend those who disagree
-Make commitments
-Make it a habit to ask the Lord
-Be happy!
The commented version is really worth a read, I have printed it out for meditation as I have a feeling that it is going to kick me out of my comfort zone.

In the meanwhile, this is another list which is doing the rounds. It deals rather with regrets. As the famous Edith Piaf song goes: "Non, je ne regrette rien" or in English 'No Regrets'. We can resolve to have no regrets in 2014.
37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old:
  1. Not traveling when you had the chance.
    2. Not learning another language.
    3. Staying in a bad relationship.
    4. Forgoing sunscreen.
    5. Missing the chance to see your favourite musicians.
    6. Being scared to do things.
    7. Failing to make physical fitness a priority.
    8. Letting yourself be defined by gender roles.
    9. Not quitting a terrible job.
    10. Not trying harder in school.
    11. Not realizing how beautiful you were.
    12. Being afraid to say “I love you.”
    13. Not listening to your parents’ advice.
    14. Spending your youth self-absorbed.
    15. Caring too much about what other people think.
    16. Supporting others’ dreams over your own.
    17. Not moving on fast enough.
    18. Holding grudges, especially with those you love.
    19. Not standing up for yourself.
    20. Not volunteering enough.
    21. Neglecting your teeth.
    22. Missing the chance to ask your grandparents questions before they die.
    23. Working too much.
    24. Not learning how to cook one awesome meal.
    25. Not stopping enough to appreciate the moment.
    26. Failing to finish what you start.
    27. Never mastering one awesome party trick.
    28. Letting yourself be defined by cultural expectations.
    29. Refusing to let friendships run their course.
    30. Not playing with your kids enough.
    31. Never taking a big risk (especially in love).
    32. Not taking the time to develop contacts and network.
    33. Worrying too much.
    34. Getting caught up in needless drama.
    35. Not spending enough time with loved ones.
    36. Never performing in front of others.
    37. Not being grateful sooner

Some wise words there! I know I have work to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just to say 'thank you' (Sr. Louise's words of thanksgiving for the celebration of her Perpetual Profession)

Holy Hour of Thanksgiving for our Silver Jubilee of presence in Dublin.

The Icon of Friendship